Extraordinary green buildings originate from firms that are committed to sustainable design and demonstrate a respect for the environment within their internal operations. From an ecological perspective, Venia Consult continually improves our company operations and minimizes our environmental impact. This Green Operations Policy was developed to communicate our current practice, formalize improvement goals and provide an operational framework for each of our offices nationwide.
We understand a building’s position within a greater context. We recognize its impact on its immediate surroundings and the environment as a whole, and we continually work to be responsible overseers of our environment. It is with this spirit that we approach projects with not merely an attitude of how we can create a minimal footprint, but rather how can we inspire and motivate behavior within and even beyond the structure.
Venia Consult design buildings which are both environmentally and economically sustainable, now and in the future. In order to achieve this, we operate a rigorous environmental management system. Since 2015 we have been recognized as an eco-friendly design firm.
Every project undertaken by the practice is evaluated against the following criteria:
Sustainability in Design by:
- Reviewing design criteria, including building orientation, shading, glazing, insulation, ventilation and construction detailing
- Reviewing alternative means of supplying energy, including solar heating, photovoltaic, and wind turbines
- Limiting reliance upon mechanical plant by using ventilation, thermal mass, and high levels of insulation
Sustainability in Construction
- Sourcing materials from sustainable and renewable resources
- Use of local materials and labour
- Use of recycled building materials
- Use of materials and processes with low embodied energy
Sustainability in Use
- Use of robust materials and equipment
- Consideration of lifecycle costs
- Rationalization of finishes, fixtures and fittings for ease of maintenance and repair
- Integrated building design
- Consider recycling waste products